Hon. Gifty Twum-Ampofo
Deputy Minister of Education - TVET
Gifty Twum-Ampofo is an accomplished politician, an astute leader and educationist with over 20 years teaching and school management expertise. An achiever with a proven track record of successfully transforming ordinary teams into world-class teams and an innovator who is not afraid to take initiative. She is a selfless and a unifying individual who has voluntarily served her community and country in different capacities.
She holds an MBA in Strategic Management and Consultancy from the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology and a BSc (Hons) in Biology from the University of Cape Coast.
She is a professional teacher with a Diploma in Education from the University of Cape Coast. She tutored at Sunyani Senior High School from 1997 – 2000, and moved on to Akosombo International School from 2000 – 2016, where she taught Biology and Integrated Science, she became the Head of Department for Sciences and ICT, Examinations and Timetable committee and also a Housemistress from 2000-2015.
Gifty’s selfless and can-do spirit and attitude has seen her serve on several committees, boards and associations.
She was the President of the Diocesan Christ Little Band; a position she has held since 2012. She is also the Immediate-Past President from 2010 – 2016 of the Eastern Regional branch of the Ghana Association of Science Teachers.
Gifty was the Deputy Minister for Gender, Children and Social Protection from 2017 – March 2019. Currently, she is the Deputy Minister for Education (TVET) for the Republic of Ghana and the Member of Parliament for the Abuakwa North Constituency.
Gifty has also served / serves on the following committees, boards and associations:
- Board Member, National Commission on Culture (2017 – Date)
- Member, Parliamentary Select Committee on Trade, Industry and Tourism (2016-Date)
- Eastern Regional Chairperson, Ghana Association of Science Teachers -2008 to 2016;
- Secretary, Coordinating Office of the Methodist Ministry – 2011 to 2016;
- Member, Standing Committee and Synod, Methodist Church of Ghana – 2011 to 2016;
- Steering Committee Member, Connexional Christ Little Band – 2010 to 2016;
- Member &Treasurer, NPP Caucus, Akosombo – 2010 to 2016;
- Patron, Asuogyaman Constituency NPP – 2015 to 2016;
- Member, Resource and Mobilization Committee, Wesley Methodist Church, Akosombo from year 2000 to 2016;
- Financial Secretary, Christ Little Band, Somanya Diocese – 2006 to 2010;
- Secretary, VRA Senior Staff Association – 2001 to 2012;
- Vice President, Valco Hall, University of Cape Coast – 1994 to 1996.
Her hardworking and outstanding contribution to the transformational agenda of institutions, the community, region and individuals has earned her the following awards and accolades:
- Best Teacher, VRA Schools – 2015
- Best Cambridge Teacher – 2015
- VRA Corporate Silver Award Winner – 2015
- Hardworking Teacher, Akosombo International School – 2014
Gifty has attended a number of conferences and workshop to enhance her academic professional prowess.
- UN Social Development Conference (FEB 2017)
- 19TH International Conference on AIDS and STIs In Africa, Cote D’Iviore (JUNE 2017)
- International Women’s Conference of the Francophonie, Bucharest – Romania (NOV 2017)
- African Union and WSP Continental Consultation – Home Grown School Feeding, Nairobi – Kenya (MAY 2017)
- 28th Session of the Universal Periodic Review Working Group, Geneva – Switzerland (NOV 2017)
- 8TH Session of the Open – Ended Working Group on Ageing, New York (JULY 2016)
- Intercultural Fluency, British Council, Accra (JAN 2016)
- Fundamentals of Prince 2 – VRA School of Excellence (SEPT 2015)
- Computer Proficiency Training, VRA School of Excellence, Akuse (2014)
- Leading and Managing People – Gimpa (OCT 2014)
- Training in Communication Skills, Akosombo Int’l School, Akosombo (2013)
- Effective Supervision VRA School of Excellence, Akuse (APRIL 2013)
- Leadership Training for Leaders & Organizational Leaders (2011)
- Guidance and Counselling – Akosombo International School (OCT 2010)
- Basic Computer Training, VRA Training School, Akuse (2004)
Gifty, by dint of hard work had received several awards:
- Most inspiring woman in politics (2019).
- Meritorious work towards development of GAST (2016).
- Best Cambridge teacher (2015).
- Best teacher VRA Schools (2015).
- VRA Corporate Silver Award (2015).
- Best WASSCE Results – Biology (2014).
- Hardworking teacher, Akosombo International School (2014).
Gifty has a strong desire and passion for development of education at all levels. At her constituency, apart from establishing a scholarship scheme for the needy but brilliant students in tertiary institutions, she has also instituted annual education program for pupils in basic schools dubbed Girl 2 Leader / HeForShe, where two pupils from classes 4,5,6,Jhs1and Jhs2 are selected from all the 36 basic schools, and are camped for one week to receive training from well trained and competent teachers in mathematics, integrated science, English Language, Vocational Skills, and basic socially accepted behaviors as well as reproductive health issues. She has also introduced, one teacher-one laptop project in her constituency to promote the teaching of ICT. Her contribution to development in all spheres of life in her constituency is immeasurable.
Gifty is a great communicator trust worthy very diplomatic and faithful Christian. She is a renowned team player and an all-embracing professional who has successfully led and worked with people of different backgrounds, cultures, religion, tribe and race. She is faithfully married with three (3) wonderful children. She is the Ghana Ambassador to Women Political Leaders (WPL).